Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Cat Angst

 

Toby in the land of zonk

I've always felt an affinity towards cats; their demeaner of proud and aloof independence, their solitariness, love of food, regularity, and order, their dislike of kerfuffle and above all their unquenchable exploratory curiosity about their environment; these are all traits that I fancy I see in myself.  So perhaps it wasn't surprising that in 1997 I found myself writing about our cat toby (pictured above). The essay I wrote can be found here:

Cat Angst.pdf - Google Drive

This essay, up until now, has never been publicly available. In fact no one else has seen it. 

Toby unfortunately only had about 4 years of life. Perhaps that's because he was large and probably over weight; he died of what looked like to me a heart attack. Our next cat, Cleo, however, lasted much longer; a small affectionate female who succumbed to cancer  at an age perhaps as much as 20 (I was never sure of her birth date).   

Cleo

No comments: